by Anton Chekhov
Written in 1897, Uncle Vanya is arguably the first modernist drama, full of conflict, unrequited love, frustration, rivalry, jealousy and a sprinkling of hope. It examines the complicated interaction within a group of people, secluded in a country estate in Czarist Russia. The play is filled with dramatic irony and with overwhelming themes of introspection, ennui and dashed dreams.
What makes this play great? Why has it stood the test of time? The themes of political and social change resonate with many eras as well as the present, the references to conservation and how man has impacted upon climate change and looking back to what could have been, make this a timeless classic.
The show runs Wed 25th Oct until Sat 28th Oct nightly at 8pm, at the Queen’s Hall in Cuckfield
Tiered Seating and floor level tickets cost from £7 and can be purchased with no online booking fee via www.cdsweb.co.uk or at Marcus Grimes in Cuckfield High Street.
For more info search for “Cuckfield Drama” or contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 01444 848 156
Audiences can expect “a great night out” and “entertainment of West End standard” with other previous comments on CDS shows including
“An inspirational triumph” — JK
“Deftly delivered natural performances and the perfect light touch required” — NODA (National Operatic & Dramatic Association)
Friday 24th November 2017
Doors open 7pm
Show starts 7.30pm
After the success of 2016's Hound of the Baskervilles,
Rain or Shine are DYING to bring you yet another Classic novel.....
but with their own individual comedic style!
1897. Transylvania. A lone English solicitor makes
an ill-fated visit to an important client at a remove and
mysterious castle. Soon afterwards, Count Dracula
moves to London, where a bizarre plague begins to
stalk it's inhabitants.
Can our intrepid team led by maverick-doctor, Professor Abraham Van Helsing, prevent the infamous Count from getting his fangs into everyone before his grip over the people of London proves fatal?
An atmospheric tale of maidens in distress, dark nights and vampires is here presented by Rain or Shine as you've never seen it before.....
Hailed last year as 'a delicious mirthfest', Rain or Shine will be raising the stakes by expanding on their new brand of 'Morecambe & Wise-ish comedy' style for another winter season of mystery, mayhem, but above all multi-role madness!
So book your tickets for a fang-tastic evening with lots of bite.
Tickets are available from Cuckfield Parish Office at The Queen's Hall, Monday to Friday 10am to 3pm
Child under 15 years £6
Cash or cheque only.
Please call 01444 454276 or 451610 for reservations
Some recent audience comments from our winter tours include:-
* “Brilliant. Great build up of laughs throughout. I was in stitches at the end and have been smiling for days since. Superb acting. Roll on the next production.”
* “Thank you, me and my 5-year-old son was entranced by your performance, and will no doubt be talking about it for a long while yet.”
* “Fantastic performance. I took a group whose ages ranged from 4, through to 84 and all agreed they had a wonderful time!”
* “If ever a production deserved widespread critical acclaim it is this and shows what gems lie more or less undiscovered in our cultural world.”
* “As in the other productions I have seen by Rain or Shine, there is a fierce, cool intelligence at work, never milking the character or situation. I marvelled, once again, at the versatility and stunning ingenuity.”
* “Thank you for a hilarious and entertaining evening last night. The way that the story went from comedy to farce was brilliant and the acting was exceptional.”
* “Slick, witty, inventive and superbly costumed show.”